Requirements of Rowan’s Law Legislation
Certain aspects of the Rowan’s Law legislation came into effect on July 1, 2019. Rowan’s Law is applicable to 65 sports in Ontario and post-secondary educational institutions. In summary:
- From July 1 2019, all sports must have in place Concussion Code of Conducts for players/parents and coaches/trainers.
- From July 1 2019, all players, coaches, match officials, trainers at the point of registration must review and sign off on the Ontario Ministry’s Concussion Awareness Resources and the Club’s Concussion Code of Conduct. If the player is under 18 years of age then their parent/guardian must sign off. This needs to be done annually.
- Between July 1 and August 30 2019, all currently registered coaches and trainers must review and sign off on both the Ministry’s Concussion awareness resources and Ontario Soccer Concussion Code of Conduct.
- Between July 1 and August 30 2019, all currently registered match officials must review and sign off on the Ministry’s Concussion awareness resources.
- From January 1, 2021, all sports must have in place Concussion Removal and Return to Sport protocols.